Wednesday 21 September 2011

Azorean teaser


Note P10 still growing and with a small mirror.  Impossible to see P9 here but that's still growing too

The Azorean type is at around 11 o'clock from the centre of the image.  It's mantle is far darker than any Yellow-legged or Herring Gull, and yet paler than the surrounding Lesser BB's

It's big.  And dark.
After finding what I thought then was a possible candidate for an Azorean Yellow-legged Gull in the Stewartby roost in August, I then bump in to this thing this evening.  In my opinion it looks really good.  When you compare this bird to the Didcot bird Ian Lewington found in October 2009, it looks extremely similar - I would even go so far to say this could be the same individual?

So what do I need to nail it?  Better views and lots more video!  I guess I'll be back at Stewartby again tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Looks a carbon copy of the Didcot bird in 2009 Steve. I have copied the address of some flight shots on my blog of that individual.

    http://bluebirder.blogspot.com/2009/10/2009-duck-broken.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Will - useful. It does indeed look extremely similar...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails